First Aid Basics
Administering Ear Medication
Otomax, Baytril Otic, and Nolvasan Otic are just some of the many pet meds or washes your vet may prescribe for your dog. But once you have the right the product you still need to know how best to administer it to your dog. So here is a step-by-step guide to safely putting medication in your dog’s ears.
- Have your dog stand, sit, or lie down next to you so you are close to the ear in which you are planning to put medication.
- Pet your dog and talk to her reassuringly and calmly.
- Being extremely gentle, stretch your dog’s ear flap away from her head. This will make your dog’s ear canal straighten so the medication will travel better through the ear.
- Hold the medicine container above the opening of your dog’s ear canal, and release the proper dose of medication into the opening of your dog’s ear canal. Never stick the medication container into your dog’s ear canal as it could damage the inside of your dog’s ear.
- Massage the base of your dog’s ear to help spread the medication.